For this assignment I used the homework example as a starting point.
Upon discussing this assignment with a typographer friend I learned that typefaces made for english normally carry a lot of weight along the vertical axes. Typefaces made for hewbrew, for example, do the opposite. Much of the weight is on the horizontal axis.
I wanted to see what would happen when a typeface like times new roman got heavier across the horizontal axis as opposed to the vertical axis.
Here is the first attempt:
This looked less convincing than I had imagined it would look but it did inspire a new path which was to create a font that looked as though it was being overgrown by moss:
Which then inspired type as landscape:
I got carried away with this idea and later realized that adding color to a font makes no sense. I went back to black and adjusted the code so that the base elements would correlate to a landscape of trees, bottom as grass, middle as trunk top as leaves.